Entry of Dependants

Applicants admitted under the GEP may apply to bring in their spouse and unmarried dependent children under the age of 18 to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) under the prevailing dependant policy. Persons admitted or applying for admission under the GEP will be the sponsors of their accompanying dependants to the HKSAR. An application for admission of a dependant may be favourably considered if normal immigration requirements and the following criteria are met: 

there is reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the dependant and the sponsor;
there is no known record to the detriment of the dependant; and
the sponsor is able to support the dependant's living at a standard well above the subsistence level and provide him/her with suitable accommodation in the HKSAR.

This entry arrangement does not apply to:

former Mainland Chinese residents residing in Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) who have acquired residence in Macao SAR through channels other than the One-way Permit Scheme; and
nationals of Afghanistan and Korea (Democratic People's Republic of).

The length of stay of such dependants will normally be linked to that of their sponsors. Any subsequent applications for extension of stay will be considered only when the applicant continues to meet the eligibility criteria for entry for residence as dependants and the sponsor remains a bona fide Hong Kong resident living in the HKSAR. These dependants are not prohibited from taking up employment or studies in the HKSAR under the existing policy.Type your paragraph here.

Processing Time

hong kong law consultants, securing your business and family's future

General Employment Program

Making a Claim for a Non-refoulement Protection in Hong Kong

The unified screening mechanism (USM) commenced its operation on 3 March 2014 for determining claims for non-refoulement protection against expulsion, return or extradition from Hong Kong to another country on all applicable grounds as set out in the “Notice to Persons Making a Non-refoulement Claim” (“Notice”).

For persons subject or liable to removal or deportation (or whose surrender is requested in surrender proceedings) from Hong Kong who claim for non-refoulement protection on any applicable ground, they may lodge non-refoulement claims with the Immigration Department (ImmD). Under the USM, the ImmD will assess their non-refoulement claims on all applicable grounds in one go.

The time restrictions are very tight and they're very strict, if you don't meet time frames the Immigration Department will not entertain your application and will reject it outright. Leaving the country will automatically forfeit your application.. 

An application for a visa/ entry permit to take up employment under the GEP may be favourably considered if:

there is no security objection and no known record of serious crime in respect of the applicant;
the applicant has a good education background, normally a first degree in the relevant field, but in special circumstances, good technical qualifications, proven professional abilities and/or relevant experience and achievements supported by documentary evidence may also be accepted; there is a genuine job vacancy; the applicant has a confirmed offer of employment and is employed in a job relevant to his academic qualifications or work experience that cannot be readily taken up by the local work force; and
the remuneration package including income, accommodation, medical and other fringe benefits is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).


Hong Kong Law Consultants will undertake visa applications for those overseas and those already resident in Hong Kong wishing to apply for visas under the General Employment Policy to work as foreign employees in Hong Kong. This will also include Dependents if necessary

​Those seeking to apply for an Entrepreneur's visa to start a business in Hong Kong.

Extensions of Stay for those seeking to Transfer their existing employment to a new employer.

Working Holiday Visas (please note 18-30 years of age)

​Foreign Domestic Helpers.

Study Visas

​Permanent Residency requirements.paragraph here.

It normally takes four weeks to process visa/entry permit applications for employment upon receipt of all the required documents. The Immigration Department will not be able to start processing the application unless all the required documents and information have been received.

All applications are processed and determined by the Immigration Department. Approval of applications is entirely discretionary and is subject to changes in government policies. The Director of Immigration reserves absolute discretion to refuse any application even if the application meets all eligibility criteria.Type your paragraph here.